Choosing the best hair removal method can be confusing. Some say that laser hair removal is the best method while others say that electrolysis is the only permanent method. But what is the most effective method for your specific needs?
While both electrolysis and laser hair removal are extremely effective, the color and texture of the hair growth as well as the intensity of pigment in the skin will have to be evaluated before moving forward. Let’s take a look at some of the guidelines when choosing the best method for your needs.
Laser Hair Removal – Advantages
- Quick results! – Extremely rapid results with at least 50 % reduction after just 1 treatment!
- Speed of light fast! – Leg’s can be completed/treated in 30 minutes, underarms in 2-3 minutes, bikini area in about 7-8 minutes, entire facial area in less than 10 minutes, entire back in about 20 minutes.
- Less treatments! – Typically, an average of 6 treatments are required for completion.
Laser Hair Removal – Disadvantages
- Only effective/permanent on darkly pigmented hair growth – Laser hair removal is not effective on hair that lack’s dark pigment, such as blonde, white or gray hair. It is also not effective on extremely fine hair growth as it lacks sufficient pigment to attract the laser.
- Darker skin tones must use caution – Individuals with darker skin tones should only move forward with caution. Depending on the level/intensity of pigment deposited in the skin, a YAG laser may be required. It is also typical for these individuals to require an extended amount of treatments over a longer period of time.
Electrolysis Hair Removal – Advantages
- Effective/permanent on all hair colors, skin tones and area’s!
- Only method which can be safely used on the eyebrow area!
- Best on small area’s!
- Safe on all skin tones!
Electrolysis Hair Removal – Disadvantages
- Time consuming – Each hair can only be treated individually with multiple applications.
- Not recommended on large area’s – Due to the slow and tedious process, large areas such as back, legs, underarms or bikini area are not recommended.
- More treatments required – Depending on the amount of hair growth and what was done to temporarily remove the growth, weekly sessions can be required for an extended period of time. It’s not uncommon for required treatments extending beyond a year or more.
And while your focus should not only be to choose the most effective method, but also to choose a professional and reputable practice that has your best interest in mind. After all, you are an individual with individual needs, so why choose a practice that treats everyone the same? We always say at Associates In Electrology & Advanced Laser Therapy; it’s all about you. So in the end, it’s about removing your hair safely and permanently, resulting in your skin looking great!